Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm Glad I'm not a Dog!

Sometimes the Lord speaks to me in the most unexpected ways. And yesterday was no exception. I was doing my typical 3:30 pm task of tube feeding Brianne, while she was watching another episode of "Clifford the Big Red Dog." We came in on the show a little late, so I'm not sure how or why Charley (Emily-Elizabeth's friend) had become a dog, but he was thrilled about his new status...especially when he found out that dogs can't go to school.


It didn't take long, however, for him to recognize the down-side of being a dog. He wanted to play basketball, but he couldn't get a grip on the basketball, and when he tried to use his mouth...well, you know the rest. His enthusiasm was once again dashed when he went to the soccer field to join in on the game, and Emily-Elizabeth notified him that dogs couldn't be on the field during practice.

Being a dog wasn't nearly as much fun as Charley had previously thought. And when he awoke from his dream to see his humanity in the mirror, he was so relieved.

How many times have I been like Charley? How many times have I thought that JOY could be found in another set of circumstances? In the early years of Bri's life, I helped to start a support group for moms of kids with special needs. I didn't realize at the time how much I needed that group to help me get perspective. I was swimming in a sea of self pity and pain! Seeing what other moms were walking through suddenly made my own experiences seem not quite so tragic. I remember leaving the group one afternoon and thanking the Lord for my situation.

I truly believe that the Key to not allowing ourselves to desire someone else's path in life is GRATITUDE. Lord, help us to be grateful for all of your blessings, as well as the grace that you give us to walk through the hard things.

No comments:

Post a Comment