Monday, February 4, 2013

The Ultimate Running Coach

I had a conversation with our middle daughter this weekend. We were talking about running (actually jogging is a better description of what I do...crawling might even fit at times.) I had asked her to join me on a jog on Saturday morning. When we returned home, she was laid out on the floor telling me how much she hates running, how bad she felt, and how she doesn't know why anyone would choose to do such a thing on a regular basis? I encouraged her to stretch, get something to drink and eat, and she would "feel" differently soon. In my mind, (and probably out loud) I have said those same words many times.

Recently a friend had asked me to consider training for a 5K with her. My initial reaction was, "No way...been there, done that....even have a medal and picture to prove it! And to top it all off, I did NOT enjoy it!" But I graciously told her I would think about it and pray about it. The timing was interesting because I had been thinking about my fitness class earlier in the week. It's an interval training class (p31fitness.com), and among the many things we do in this class, we run. I had been thinking about how grateful I was to have found a class here in town that really pushes me physically, and is also a great opportunity to connect with other women. When reflecting on the class, I concluded that the activity I like least about it is the running. How ironic that just days later, I was asked to consider doing more running, by training for another 5K.


I said, "Yes."

I know, call me crazy, but this is why I said "Yes."

I concluded that it would be good for my flesh to do something that it doesn't enjoy. I am continually reminded that I live in a very selfish and self-absorbed culture that follows the rule "If it feels good, do it!" which implies that the opposite would also be encouraged, "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!" And look where it has gotten us! It is my belief that we as Christians sometimes have to make radical steps to go against the "culture of the world" in our own lives.

And this is where my conversation with Brooke comes in...I told her, "Sometimes, we have to make our bodies do what they don't want to do, in order to get them to be where we want them to be." I reminded her of the fact that she is planning to run track in the Spring, and if she continues all of this negative self-talk, it will only make it harder for her to succeed in her efforts.

I went on to say that self-discipline and training don't just pertain to athletics, they pertain to life, especially the Christian life. Jesus reminded his disciples "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Matt.16:24

Paul often compared his walk with Christ to running a race. He said in 1 Cor. 9:25 - 27 "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever...No, I beat my body, and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

I love how the writer of Hebrews describes "Discipline in a Long-Distance Race" as found in Chapter 12 in The Message translation:

"Do you see what this means--all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get with it. Strip down, start running--and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished the race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed--that exhilirating finish in and with God--he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!"

I am definitely NOT suggesting that to be spiritual, you have to be a runner. (Cue the Hallelujah Chorus!) But maybe, just maybe, the Lord is asking you to step outside your comfort zone, and do something that you don't want to do, and this blog post is just the encouragement you needed to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment