Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lesson Learned from our Cat

As I've mentioned before, God uses all kinds of things to get my attention, and yesterday, it was our cat Simba. I should actually say "Brooke's cat" Simba because it is clear to everyone that knows Simba, he loves Brooke the most!! And why not? It was Brooke who rescued him from the streets of Burgaw, NC nearly 10 years ago.

We were on a 3 week trip to NC, visiting Wade's family and some of our supporting churches, when we first met Simba. He was a stray that showed up on the steps of the home that we were staying in. The couple who owned the home had graciously moved in with her parents for those 3 weeks to give our family a "home base." They thought that "Simba" (they had named him already) would be good company for our animal loving 4 year-old, so they decided to wait to find a home for him until after our visit was over.

It was love at first sight for both of them! The thing I remember most about that summer is that Brooke was covered in mosquito bites from head to toe. She spent every moment that we were at our "home away from home" outside on the front porch with Simba, and even the pesky mosquitoes could not stop her. It was amazing to watch how she would call his name and he would come running out of the woods for her.

The thought of having to leave Simba behind when we returned to Texas broke my heart! Even though I was not much of an animal lover at the time, I loved my little girl, and wanted to avoid the heart-wrenching goodbye that was soon to come. After a phone call to the airlines, and a visit to the vet, Simba joined us on our flight back to Texas. And he has never looked back! Some of our amused friends made the comment upon our return, "You know we have cats in Texas??!!" "Yes we know," we answered, "but not Simba!" And he has proved to be the best pet ever over these 10 years!!


So, where am I going with this?...Well, yesterday I observed something that I see on a fairly regular basis.  Simba was all curled up, lying on top of Brooke's folded laundry while she was at school.   I thought to myself, "He loves her so much, that when she is away, he'll settle for her clothes."
 
 
 
At that moment, I remembered the Psalmist who said to the Lord, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." Psalm 84:10. In other words, he was saying "I just want to BE where you are Lord, if even in the lowliest position available."

Oh, how this challenges me!  Am I as much in love with my Father, who rescued me from sin and from myself, as Simba is in love with Brooke??  Can I say with the Psalmist,  "I just want to be where you are Lord" no matter where that might take me??  Help me Lord to LOVE you with all that I am and ever hope to be!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... and such is your family! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Simba! You are right, he is a great cat. Brings back memories of being your neighbor:)
    And thank you for the post. I always love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathleen and Jamie! I know Jamie, he visited your house a lot:) I think he still misses you, as do we!

    ReplyDelete